Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Two weddings and a funeral

Last week, my next door neighbour came over and asked if I could make her some wedding cards... she'd gladly pay me... When I asked when they needed to be done, her reply was "well, I need one in two days" ACCKKK! Two days?!

I know she has a little background in card making, so I thought I would pull her into it. I asked her to come over to my place the next day and we'd do some together, since I too needed some cards. I asked her if she could just bring her tools over and I'd supply the cardstock. Good excuse to go cardstock shopping! She asked me "what tools?" Hmmm, better pick up some tools for her as well.

This is the first one we tried

It's done on cream ribbed cardstock, with the decorative paper taped on. To cover the join, we used some cream colored grosgrain ribbon. And don't even ask who the stamp is by, I don't know. I thought it looked a bit plain so we added little heart brads to the corner.

This was the second

Again, I used ribbed cardstock, but in light pink. The paper we taped on was interesting because where the silver looking hearts were, it was actually foiled. We distressed the edges after using a pink chalk pad on them. We used a rose colored grosgrain ribbon and the same congratulations stamp except we layered it on a bit of black cardstock and foam tape.

The final card I did that day wasn't for a wedding, but for a card everyone hates to do, a sympathy card. I did this for a special family that lost their dad last month to cancer. I made 6 of them and sent them to all the kids and their mom. He was a very special man who will be missed immensely. Fortunately we all know where he's spending his eternity and that wipes some of the pain away and replaces it with jealousy.

Monday, March 3, 2008

Done! Finally!

Well, here is the finished product.

Its taken a while, and I have one word... ok, maybe two, or three words about flannel...

1. Stretchy
2. Stretchy
3. and Stretchy

I'm not sure exactly how to combat this, except for be careful and don't over work it. I learned a lot from this project, and almost promised myself that I would never do another one, but I've learned my lesson about never saying never.

This is, of course, the back. I kinda wish it was a bit more interesting, but my quilt teacher, Janelle, talked me out of complicated. Good for her. Each time the quilting didn't work, or it bunched up the fabric, I would have to "unsew" it, and each time I unsewed it, the fabric would stretch a bit more. So I think the less work I had to put into it, the better.

You can also see the quilting here.

I finished it off with satin binding, and mitered corners. I really need to learn exactly how to do those. As I was sitting here finishing up the binding, I realized how warm and wonderful this quilt felt, and I thought about how it looks... even though some spots embarrass me, the warmth and feel of the fabric more than make up for the little things, and as a whole, it doesn't look so bad either.